Black Lives Matter to DCPVL
Happy Pride Month to our DCPVL Family.
This is normally a time we celebrate the LGBTQ+ community, however this year we are all called to action for our Black members and community. Our Black brothers and sisters continue to be the victims of unjust police brutality and systemic racism in the United States. We mourn the deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, Breonna Taylor, and the many other Black Americans who have lost their lives to police and racist violence.
DCPVL is morally obligated to harness our collective voice and stand in solidarity with our Black members and community because we love you, we see you, and we hear your pain. We are also called to act because we remember the legacy of our shared struggle for LGBTQ+ civil rights that was led by drag queens, trans women, and queer people of color at the Stonewall Riots in June 1969.
It is with a sense of purpose and mission that we call on all DCPVL members to take an active role in this movement in ways that you can:
- Protest or volunteer at protests
- Educate and speak to people around you
- Confront racism wherever you see it, online and with family, friends
- Donate to and volunteer with local community and social justice organizations
- Share links to resources
There are so many organizations mobilizing currently, but DCPVL recommends the following organizations that provide support and leadership specifically for the Black LGBTQ+ community.
- The Trevor Project is supporting Black youth LGBTQ+ mental health.
- The Emergency Release Fund aids LGBTQ+, especially trans, individuals get out of jail in New York.
- The LGBTQ Freedom Fund is a national organization that posts bail to secure the release of LGBTQ+ people, many of whom are protesting racial injustice now.
- Black Lives Matter DC mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities.
DCPVL was founded as an inclusive organization for the LGBTQ+ community in the DMV region to play volleyball. It will always be our mission to provide a safe environment for our Black members to play volleyball with integrity. We must support our Black members on and off the court.
We believe Black Lives Matter. We believe Black Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Queer Lives Matter.
DC Pride Volleyball League Board of Directors
DC Pride Volleyball League is a volleyball organization serving the LGBTQ community and its allies in the Washington DC metro area. Following a long running tradition in the District for social volleyball, DCPVL is committed to creating a social and competitive environment for individuals of all genders to meet new people and improve volleyball skills.
We hope you will come out and join us as we continue to strive to grow and provide more opportunities to play volleyball, and make new friends here in our Nation’s Capital.