DCPVL’s Open Play is intended for all skill levels, and particularly beneficial for beginners who want to build up their skills, as it includes a skills clinic. Each week, teams are formed on the spot with players present, and you only attend the weeks you want, which is great for folks with busy or unpredictable schedules.
We also offer a Competitive League with 2 divisions, where players are drafted on a team, and play with the same teammates all season.
Anyone on the DCPVL Email List is welcome to join! Each week there is a cap of 48 players, on a first paid basis. The cost to play is $10. Spots are only guaranteed once registration is complete and payment is made.
- Registration is managed through LeagueApps.
- You will need to create a profile the first time you register with DCPVL’s LeagueApps registration tool.
- Each Friday, an email is sent out to individuals on the DCPVL Email List. This email contains a unique link to sign up for the following Wednesday Open Play.
- It is encouraged that you prepay ($10) online, through DCPVL’s LeagueApps registration tool.
- You must register and pay; spots are only guaranteed once payment is processed.
- If you registered and paid online last minute, be prepared to show your confirmation email on your smartphone.
- Wednesdays, starting Sep 6
- 7:00-8:00pm: Skills Development Clinic
- 8:00-10:00pm: Teams are formed and play begins
- Thomson Elementary School – 1200 L St NW, Washington, DC [MAP]
- Nearest Metro: a few blocks from
- McPherson Sq station (orange/blue/silver lines)
- Mt Vernon Sq station (green/yellow lines)
- Metro Center station (red/orange/blue/silver lines)
- Parking: street parking starting at 6:30pm
Rules of Play
- Up to 6 teams of 8 players each are formed randomly, using the “ribbons” method, a DC volleyball institution! New teams are formed at the halfway point (around 9 pm) so that everyone has lots of time to meet and play with new people.
- An incomplete team can pick up player(s) from teams sitting off, the “fill-in” player must return to their team once their team is back on court.
- Each team will play two consecutive games (win or lose), except for the first game of the night where only the winner will remain on court, OR
- A predetermined play schedule will be assigned
Click HERE for Open Play FAQs.