Registration for Season 12 is now closed and at capacity. If you would like to be considered for the supplemental draft please sign up for our “Weekly Dig Newsletter” by clicking here.
DCPVLs Competitive League is comprised of four divisions numbered 1-4.
Division 1: Roughly corresponds to a high BB, A, or AA rating in NAGVA.
Division 2: Roughly corresponds to a low BB or high B rating in NAGVA.
Division 3: Roughly corresponds to a B rating in NAGVA with a good understanding of play rotations.
Division 4: social play for individuals interested in learning the game of volleyball.
As guidance, DCPVL’s Players are roughly rated as follows:
Divisions 1 & 2 = Advanced
- Intended for competitive players with advanced volleyball skills and the ability to play rotations (5-1, 6-2, etc.)
- Roughly corresponds to a high BB, A, or AA rating in NAGVA.
- As a benchmark, a player should possess most of the following (dependent on position played):
- SERVING: Consistent serve capable of disrupting opponent’s offense.
- PASSING: Consistent pass directly to the setter. Frequent digs.
- SETTING: Consistent sets to the middle, outside, and back sets, even when having to take multiple steps.
- BLOCKING: Consistent 2-person block against advanced hit.
- ATTACKING: Consistent offense (tip/dink or high-velocity hit), frequently resulting in a kill. Ability to adjust to any set.
- COURT POSITION: In the proper position for defense/offense all the time. Can run advanced plays.
Divisions 2 & 3 = Intermediate
- Intended for competitive players with intermediate volleyball skills and the ability to play rotations (5-1, 6-2, etc.)
- Roughly corresponds to a B or low BB rating in NAGVA.
- As a benchmark, a player should possess most of the following (dependent on position played)
- SERVING: Consistent service.
- PASSING: Consistent pass against low-velocity balls. Occasional digs.
- SETTING: Consistent sets to middle and outside, given a front zone pass.
- BLOCKING: Consistent 1-person block in their zone against intermediate hit.
- ATTACKING: Consistent offense (tip/dink or medium-velocity hit), occasionally resulting in a kill.
- COURT POSITION: In the proper position for defense/offense most of the time.
Divisions 3 & 4 = Novice
- Intended for players with limited volleyball experience and/or no experience with rotations (5-1, 6-2, etc.)
- No NAGVA experience is required.
DCPVL is looking to diversify its captain pool. We are especially seeking new first-time captains. The board has been working on creating a “Captains Handbook” and will also be available to provide mentorship to new captains. If you are interested please reach out to your division representative or select “yes” to the question when registering for Season 12.
Be on the lookout for the Captains and New Players Pre-Season Information Party!
Captains draft teams of 8 players. Players are not guaranteed to be drafted but will be fully refunded if a team spot is not secured.
By registering as Advanced you are eligible to be drafted in Divisions 1 or 2, Intermediate – 2 or 3, and Novice – Divisions 4.
Following completion of the draft, teams will play nine regular-season games + two weeks of playoffs.
First Night of Division 3 & 4 League Play:
Tuesday, March 15, 2022, 7-11 PM
9 total matches across 7 weeks of play
First Night of Division 1 & 2 League Play:
Thursday, March 17, 2022, 7-11 PM
9 total matches across 7 weeks of play
All divisions will play the entire Spring 2022 season at The Catholic University of America’s Raymond A. DuFour Athletic Center (600 Taylor St., NE, Washington, DC 20017) [MAP]
- Nearest Metro: Brookland-CUA (red line)
- Parking: free parking lot next to the facility
Matches will start at 7:00 PM, 8:00 PM, 9:00 PM. and 10:00 PM.
1-hour time slots (5 min to warm-up, 50 min to play 3 sets, 5 min to clear the court).
3 sets from 4 to 25, win by 2, or cap at 27.
Skills Clinics –
DCPVL will host skills clinics that are free and open to all community members on Monday nights from 7:00-8:00 PM. Clinics will start on March 7, 2022. All players must follow league COVID protocols to participate.
DCPVL will offer open play to all community members on Monday nights from 8:00-10:00 PM, Open play will start on March 7, 2022. Players must register and pay $10 via credit card through LeagueApps to attend. No cash will be accepted. All players must follow league COVID protocols to participate.
For a list of all Skill Clinics and Open Play Dates please click here.
$100 for all players.
DCPVL is committed to making volleyball accessible to everyone. If you are facing financial challenges that might prevent you from participating in DCPVL, please let us know and we will work with you to make sure you can play this season.
Previous Season/Tournament Winners
It is the responsibility of the Board to create a safe and orderly process for the continuation of play during COVID-19. Below are the most recent updates to DCPVL COVID Protocols.
- All players who register and attend Skills Exhibition must furnish proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test. If you provide evidence of a negative test, the test must be taken within 72 hours.
- During matches, a face mask will be optional; however highly encouraged.
- A face mask is required at all other times in the facility except when actively drinking or eating.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 illness we ask that you please not attend your Skills Exhibition or season games and notify the Director of Players immediately.
- All players are expected to notify the Director of Players in the event that they test positive for COVID-19.
- The Director of Players will then notify any members who might have been exposed.
If you have any questions about this update please email Lauren MacGowens by clicking here.